Two sentenced in murder of Santa Rosa boy, third suspect pending trial

2 days ago 95

SANTA ROSA, Texas (ValleyCentral) — Just weeks after pleading guilty to murder charges, two men who killed a teenager have been sentenced.

Alberto Sanchez and Julian Casarez were sentenced to 25 years and 30 years, respectively, in a Texas Corrections Facility.

  • Photos by Brian Svendsen
  • Photos by Brian Svendsen
  • Photos by Brian Svendsen
  • Photos by Brian Svendsen

ValleyCentral spoke with the court, which confirmed that Casarez was also facing charges of deadly conduct, engaging in organized crime, aggravated robbery, and aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. He received 30 years for the organized crime charge, 20 years for aggravated robbery and 20 years for aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. His sentences will run concurrently with the murder sentence.

Sanchez was also sentenced for aggravated assault (20 years) and engaging in organized crime (25 years). These sentences will run concurrently with his murder sentence.

Alberto Sanchez/Cameron County District Attorney's Office

A third suspect arrested in connection with the case, Josue Torres, also faces a charge of murder and is scheduled to go before a jury for trial on December 8. Torres and Casarez were 17 and 18 at the time the crime was committed.

From left Julian Casarez and Josue Torres (Cameron County Sheriff's Office)

The 2023 murder took place on Jan. 26 when officials said Fernando Martinez, who was 16, was fatally shot. An investigation led by the Cameron County District Attorney’s Office revealed that the individuals in this case were part of a “bigger criminal enterprise.”

Photo by Brian Svendsen, KVEO

Cameron County DA Luiz V. Saenz said the boys who are now men, “had committed violent acts and criminal episodes in La Feria in Harlingen and even in Weslaco,” Saenz said. As previously reported by ValleyCentral, the men were known to “rip off” drug dealers selling vaping oil cartridges, even going as far as to participate in a shootout at a Whataburger in La Feria before the fatal shooting.

ValleyCentral was at the scene of the fatal crime Jan. 26, 2023 and spoke with City Administrator Ronnie Hernandez, who described the situation as “a couple of kids with guns.” The once "kids" will now face time in jail, and the third suspect, Josue Torres, who also faces a charge of murder, is scheduled to go before a jury for trial on December 8.

ValleyCentral will keep you updated on the case.

Read Entire Article