
The 28-year-old Mercedes man whose family owns the private border wall in Mission has been sentenced to prison for killing a 47-year-old man in a Weslaco crash in 2022.
Clayton Wayne Neuhaus was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to a month in prison and 10-years probation for the death of Jose Luis Martinez.
According to the probable cause affidavit, the crash happened at about 11:26 p.m. on Sept. 29, 2022 in the 1300 block of South International Boulevard.
The responding police officer stated he found a white Ford Raptor with heavy front-end damage and a red Ford Focus down the road with heavy damage to the driver’s side door.
A news release at the time stated that Weslaco police said Martinez had been trying to turn north onto International Boulevard when Neuhaus crashed into him. In addition, the release said police didn’t find visible signs of road marks that would show Neuhaus attempted to brake before the impact.
Neuhaus told police that he only had a glass of wine before the crash, according to the affidavit.
However, witnesses at the scene claimed that Neuhaus stumbled out of his vehicle and appeared intoxicated. Police alleged that he had bloodshot eyes and spoke with slurred speech, according to the affidavit.
Additionally, police stated that Neuhaus failed a field sobriety test but consented to a blood draw.
The indictment also alleged that Neuhaus was under the influence of alcohol when he failed to keep a proper lookout while speeding before crashing into and killing Martinez.
If Neuhaus violates his probation, he’s looking at a 10-year prison sentence.
The post Mercedes man with private border wall ties gets month in prison for manslaughter appeared first on MyRGV.com.