Freddy Gonzalez’s removal from naval history website stirs congressional concerns

18 hours ago 34
Sgt. Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez of Edinburg

U.S. Reps. Vicente Gonzalez, D-Brownsville, and Monica De La Cruz, R-McAllen, both responded to the removal of Edinburg’s Sgt. Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez from a naval history website this week.

The Edinburg war hero was removed from Naval History and Heritage Command website under President Donald Trump’s purge on anything his administration believes falls under diversity, equity and inclusion, or DEI, initiatives.

Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez is a Medal of Honor recipient — among other awards and honors for making the ultimate sacrifice during the Vietnam War. He was killed in action on Feb. 4, 1968.

Gonzalez and De La Cruz reacted to his removal after MyRGV.com first discovered that Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez had been mostly purged from the naval history website — with the exception of a handful of PDFs. There is a naval vessel named after the Marine and Edinburg native.

Vicente Gonzalez responded on Monday by taking to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington to slam the man’s removal from the naval history website during a roughly two-minute speech.

Describing Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez as a hero who won’t ever be forgotten, the congressman spoke about how his company came under heavy fire for days, how he led the company in maneuvers and how the soldiers returned fire.

He spoke of how Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez carried wounded men from harm’s way during the battle of Hue.

“He didn’t ask what ethnicity these men were or religion or what region of the country they came from,” Vicente Gonzalez said. “They were all Americans fighting one of the most atrocious and unpopular wars in our history.”

The congressman said Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez wasn’t awarded the Medal of Honor because he asked for a special privilege or recognition.

“Freddy was dead,” Vicente Gonzalez said. “He was recognized by his men for his bravery, for going beyond his call of duty to save other American lives while losing his own.”

The congressman then slammed the Trump administration’s removal of anything it considers DEI, calling it an appalling effort to erase history that is indiscriminate in its removal of Latinos, women and other minorities from the country’s archives.

“Have you no shame. Have you no decency,” Vicente Gonzalez said. “This is not about eliminating DEI. This is straight up old fashioned racism against some of the most deserving Americans in our history.”

On Tuesday, De La Cruz took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to post that she had heard concerns about the page’s removal.

Monica De La Cruz

“While the specific page recognizing Hispanic Americans in the Navy, including Sgt. Gonzalez was taken down, his story lives on,” De La Cruz wrote. “In fact, the Navy honors his story of heroism and bravery with a full page dedicated to his service.”

Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez remains present on the Navy and Marine Corps websites.

De La Cruz went on to write that his accolades and decorations will continue to be recognized with respect and held in high regard.

“Sgt. Gonzalez will always be an American hero and an inspiration to South Texans,” she wrote.

De La Cruz’s post did not comment on Alfredo “Freddy” Gonzalez being removed from the naval history website due to Trump’s ban on DEI.


RELATED READING:

Edinburg hero removed from naval history website under Trump’s DEI purge

The post Freddy Gonzalez’s removal from naval history website stirs congressional concerns appeared first on MyRGV.com.

Read Entire Article